> home - action - news
IMC NEWS BLAST
ANTI-GLOBALIZATION ONE YEAR LATER
(from Indymedia 7th December 2000)
With the anniversary of the Seattle WTO Ministerial protests just a scant year ago, Independent Media Centers have put together a collection of essays, photographs, videos, and audio from the most tremendous year of activism in decades.
1. Do Not Forget Ideas are Also Weapons, by SUBCOMANDANTE MARCOS
2. Critique of globalization from a living systems point of view --
3. A chilling summary of increased state activity to neutralize
anti-corporate-globalization activism. "Keeping an eye on
protesters International authorities are sharing information
-- not all of it accurate -- about anti-globalization activists."
4. From Melbourne to Prague: The struggle for a deglobalized world
by: Walden Bello
5. Capitalism and communism look equally bad in Prague,
by Naomi Klein
6. "What's wrong with 'free' trade?; the GATS and Electronic
Commerce -- by Sid Shniad -- Telecommunications is now seen as
the modern trade route. Deregulated e-commerce has the potential
to increase corporate power. Trade agreements make it difficult
for citizens to exercise democratic control.
7. What's New at WTOWatch.org - lists a number of different
wto-related stories with links to stories off site.
8. 'Become the Media', by Alex Kelly and Jason Gibson - a piece by
australian journalists, looking at melbourne activism and the
9. The Body As a Weapon for Civil Disobedience,
by Jesús Ramírez Cuevas
10. The African grassroots and the global movement, By Patrick Bond
11. Reclaiming the Cities, By Cindy Milstein
12. Did We Fail as a Movement? by Chis Crews
13. GUATEMALA: Manifestacion en apoyo a los Medios de Comunicacion
14. Articles about Indymedia: quite a lot has been written
in the corporate press about various IMC's over the last
year. We've compiled a short list of some of the articles.
15. IMC-UK covered MayDay 2000, placing Public Terminal in the
middle of action, allowing participants to report for themselves
via two bycycle powered laptops conected to the web
16. The Zapatistas are preparing to break their long silence according to
today's press release. A major press conference is planned for Saturday
to respond to the new Fox PAN government
Live streaming of N30 audio from:
1. The Streets of Seattle: Looking Back at N30
A 30 minute sound collage that vividly documents the events
of a year ago produced by Seattle IMC and Bruderhof Radio.
2. Noam Chosky on Colombia and Israel in an interview with
Radio IMC - NYC
3. Audio witness of gas and grenades by Ted Lockery Dec 2 '99
While reporting on non-violent protesters of the WTO linking
arms to repel would-be looters, a reporter is caught in a barrage
of tear gas and percussion grenades.
4. Interview with Michael Moore (WTO chief) by Randy Nov 29 '99
An IMC exclusive! Get the scoop on what ol' Mike really thinks.
5. Cell Phone Interview with Arrestees by Asha Confer Dec 1 '99
Conversation with Arrestees at Sandpoint waiting to be processed.
6. NGO rep Victor Manotti assaulted by police by Peter Myhre Dec 2 '99
Interview of Manotti while revealing details of ministerial was
interupted by police assult.
7. Taking Power by gretchen king, Nov 28 '99
David Reid worked as a Mobil Equipment Operator for 20 years at
Kaiser Aluminum in Spokane, WA. Since 1998, Reid and his fellow
workers at Local 329 have been locked out. In early November,
I spoke with Reid about his experiences at the Ruckus Society's
Action Camp, with the Art and Revolution Roadshow, and his
union's upcoming trek from Spokane to Seattle for the World Trade
(35 mins, mp3 @ 8.9 megs)
8. Anti-WTO Christmas Carol by Kari Lerum, Dec 3 '99
Merry Anti-Corporate carolers sing a rousing, new version of the
"12 days of Christmas" in the streets of Seattle.
9. December 2nd rally interview: A framer from Grenada with the
International Farmer's Movement by Gretchen King Dec 2nd '99
Recorded at a family farmer's rally in Victor Steinbreuck
10. Diversity of Voices by gretchen king, Dec 13 '99
On Tuesday, November 30, I spoke with many groups and
individuals who came out despite the weather and the police
presence to voice their concerns about the WTO and to keep the
delegates from entering the conference. Pieces range from 1 to
5 minutes in length.
Butterfly on Stilts
"Now we have a cause..."
"This protest is right on!"
"This is a world war!"
Seattle - N30 - seattle.indymedia.org
Tuseday Night Teargas
Overhead at 4th and Pike Seattle 3:30pm Nov 30th 1999
Democracy Vs the WTO
Boston - BioDevastion 2000 - boston.indymedia.org
BioHazard Marchers - March 23rd
Vandana Shiva's Keynote - March 23rd
Washington DC - A16 - dc.indymedia.org
Puppet Maker At Work
Rally At The Eclipse
The Independent Media Center in Action
Cops Pepper Spraying the crowd
Peace Sign and Riot Cops
A Good Day for Democracy, Arthur Foelsche
Philladelphia, Republican Convention - philly.indymedia.org
Welcome to the GOP
Billionairs for Bush or Gore
AIDS Drugs For Africa Banner
Cops arrest one of hundreds
A Clown Which Escaped Police Raids
Los Angeles, Democratic Convention - la.indymedia.org
American Corporate Flag
"This Is What Democracy Looks Like" Arrested
US / Mexico Border Deaths Memorial
Protestor Shot After Rage Concert
Cops Shut Down IMC for 'Bomb Threat'
Melbourne, World Economic Forum, S11 - melbourne.indymedia.org
Protesters Surround Cop
Delegates Feried By Police Boat To WEF
Prague - S26 - prague.indymedia.org
Kicked in the face, Devin Asch
Concussion Grenades in the Valley, Bryan Atinsky
Protesters celebrate on Karlov Most, Cayce Callaway
Occupation of the Czech Embassy in Bern, Schmid Urs
Protestors breach complex balcony this afternoon, vc1
Police barricade, morag tinto
1. The video trailer from the forth coming documetary of the World
Bank protests in Prague, September 2000.
2. Crashing the Party: video trailer from the new documentary from
the Democratic National Convention protests this summer.
3. Police Riot in the Subway: footage from the Democratic Convention
read the comentary (warning- this is a big file, it takes
some time to load)
4. Breaking The Bank: The IMC documentary about the A16 protests
in Washington DC against the IMF and World Bank.
5. Showdown In Seattle: 5 Days That Shook The WTO
Day 3: http://w3.loudeye.com/imc/showdown2_ss.ram (modem users)
http://w3.loudeye.com/imc/showdown2_200.ram (200 kbps)
About Indymedia and the Independent Media Centers
Indymedia is a collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage Indymedia is a democratic media outlet for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings of truth.
You can find out more about getting involved at the following websites process.indymedia.org - lists.indymedia.org - global.indymedia.org.au
Although each IMC has it's own mission statement, many are modeled after the Seattle IMC. As of yet there is no overarching mission statement for all IMC's or the indymedia network.
The Seattle Independent Media Center Mission:
The Independent Media Center is a grassroots organization committed to using media production and distribution as a tool for promoting social and economic justice. It is our goal to further the self-determination of people under-represented in media production and content, and to illuminate and analyse local and global issues that impact ecosystems, communities and individuals. We seek to generate alternatives to the biases inherent in the corporate media controlled by profit, and to identify and create positive models for a sustainable and equitable society.
imc-news mailing list